Thursday, January 27, 2011

“Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never harm me”

“Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never harm me” I have been saying this for years and yet sometimes I do get hurt. The timing of this BLOG is of course after I have been hurt by words again and I try to understand why are these words necessary.




During these periods I pray that God will soften that person’s heart that has offended me. I also go to my bible. I have to stay focused and not feel revengeful because the devil is right there tempting me. This is such a struggle but I am learning to deal with this.

I have found several verses of comfort, and let me tell you the Holy Spirit is guiding me. 

Ephesians 4:32 NIV
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Galatians 6:1-6 NIV
1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. 6 Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.

John 13:34 NIV
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

1 Peter 2:1-3 NIV
1 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

James 4:17 NIV
17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

Have a blessed day!
Janet

5 comments:

grammy said...

My mother always said that!!! I don't think words did hurt her...but I was much more soft hearted and they did ...and do hurt me.
Sorry you are going through this hard time.
Great verses.

Sister Susie said...

I am so sorry someone has hurt you! Know that I love you and have never seen you! It's like the verse Christ told His disciples, "How blessed you are that your faith has seen the truth in Me; but more blessed are those who believe yet have not seen Me!"
I will pray this person will reconcile with you.
Your loving friend,
Susie

Nellie's Cozy place said...

Hi Janet,
So sorry someone has hurt your feelings. My Mom used to say that too, but I don't think it is true....we all get our feelings hurt at times. Sometimes there are people who do it deliberately, and sometimes people just say things without thinking or out of their own anger.

Sometimes we just have to suck it up and get over it with lots of prayer and just choosing to forgive,
but I also feel like if it goes on a lot that sometimes we might need to speak the truth in love to someone and say something like have you ever thought about the things you say and how they make others feel, or make me feel, what you said really hurt.
Course, only you can decide when it is time to take such action, but I read that in a book once and was shocked cause that thought had never entered my mind. I have had
occasion to use that piece of advice. I think if you pray and pray and you just can't get over it, it might be time to just lovingly tell the person that it hurt you. I did that once with a friend and she started to cry and said you know I don't even know why I said that, so I saw her heart right away, and that put it to bed for me.
Those are all great verses too!
Good for you, digging in God's word, you're a smart cookie.
Will pray for you sweetie,
Love ya, Nellie

Nellie's Cozy place said...

Hi Janet,
Thanks for leaving your sweet list of Thanksfuls. Great ones at that!
These would be considered a sacrifice of praise with what you are going thru........good going, the Lord loves it and the devil hates it!!

Have a Wonderful Weekend full of rest.
Love ya, Nellie

lioneagle said...

Hi -

It is so good to know that you strive to choose GOD'S ways.

Yes, we all falter and need to repent but our Lord is so pleased when we strive, in earnest, to regularly please Him.

Hurts happen but thanks be to our Lord, that He is our healer.

Thank you for caring about the person that hurt you...