Thursday, November 11, 2010

We are so very proud of our soldier Matt


This flag flew in Afghanistan while Matt was there.
This post is to honor our Son-in-law Matt and all the soldiers that have fought and are still fighting for our safety.
Our son-in-law Matt is a Major in the Army.  He has been deployed three times.  He has been home from Afghanistan since December 17th of 2009.  We are so very proud of him for risking his life to help keep us safe here.  When our soldiers are gone it is very hard for families and friends at home to resume daily life.   Our daughter Jennifer has been there every step of the way.   I cannot say I know how she feels because I am not the one that has suffered loneliness, being a single parent, taking care of everything that comes up.   I can tell you that I worried the whole time Matt was gone and in my prayers each night I asked God to keep Matt and all the soldiers safe.  Every news cast that came on I was glued to see what unit the fatalities were in.  I still felt raw even when I found out Matt was safe.  I was feeling the pain of other families.   I still feel the pain everyday. 
Last year I sent out an email to families and friends.  This is what it read:

2/19/09
Dear Family and Friends

I don’t even know his name but his life was spared yesterday by the grace of God in Afghanistan.  The bullet meant to harm him lodged in his helmet.  How do I know this because my son-in-law Matt witnessed it.  When my daughter Jennifer was telling me about it I asked her where the bullet came from.  She replied “the enemy.”  It hit me like a ton of bricks that this is real very real.    Our soldiers are there so we can be here in the “safe zone”    You are not going to see this one in the news and the many others that have similar stories.  Every one of those soldiers are heroes. .    Please pray that they are kept safe.  

Some pictures of Matt taken while he was in Afghanistan






Here are pictures when Matt was welcomed home.  Our daughter Jennifer and grand kids Emma and Logan model their shirts especially made for daddy's homecoming.  This homecoming took place at 2 AM. 
Jennifer and Matt first welcome home kiss
the kids seeing their daddy


The happy family reunited at last

So today we are honoring our Veterans for keeping us safe, and for giving up their families to keep us safe.  Everyone of them we honor.  I am proud to be an American and a soldiers mom in law.  We love you Matt.  Thank you.......You are our hero......

5 comments:

Linda said...

Janet, these pictures tell the story beautifully. These men give up so much to serve our country.

I am glad you posted this and it does remind us on this Veteran's Day to pray for our troops.

I am glad is safe and back home.

Alleluiabelle said...

As Linda said, "these pictures tell the story beautifully."

Thank you dear friend for posting this today. I am ever so thankful to all in the military and to all veterans not only this day but every day for defending our country, for keeping us safe and for keep America free.

Love & Blessings,
Alleluiabelle

grammy said...

Thank you Matt
and all those other heros
I like what you said about 'The Safe Zone'
boy do we take that for granet.

Nellie's Cozy place said...

Hi Janet,
what a lovely lovely tribute to your son-in-law and all our soldiers.
We are so blessed because of these men and women in uniform. Tell Matt
we said Thank you for his service to our country, and thank your daughter and grandchildren too!!

Also thanks for coming by yesterday and your sweet comments about my son and his sweetie and his birthday table.

Loved the story of the soldier whose helmet lodged the bullet!
That was No doubt the Lord, and the answer to prayers on their behalf.
Good reasons for us to pray!!

Also loved all your TT thankfuls,
they brought tears to my eyes,
such simple things that bring such
blessings to our lives every single day!!
Have a blessed weekend my friend,
Nellie

Sister Susie said...

Thank you for sharing from a mom's perspective! I can't begin to think what it must be like. My only comparison is when my dad would be gone on 6-8 months deployment on aircraft carriers and I wouldn't see him for periods of time. (I was lucky, it was after WW II.) Moms have so much to do when dads sre gone! Tell Matt he has many people thanking him, including me! Hold steadfast, for one Day there will be no more fighting or war anymore when our LORD returns with His Saints and Legions of Angels!

Love and hugs to you all,
Susie