Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunday's Sermon

Happy Monday!

Yesterday before we went to worship Marvin walked out of the bedroom with a wrinkled shirt on. I told him it looked terrible. I told him to take it off so I could iron it. He said no he would wear his red Nebraska golf shirt instead. When we walked into church first thing a new member asked us if we were from Nebraska and of course we told him yes. Come to find out him and his wife are both from Nebraska too. He even said that he went hunting in the rural area close to our town. It is such a small world.
Now most of you know that Marvin is a Nebraska Husker football fan. But what most of you don't know is our Pastor Barry is a Washington Huskies fan. It just happened that Nebraska plowed over the huskies yesterday at the football. Of course Marvin walked up to the front of the Church before the service to proudly display his Nebraska shirt. There were a few people yelling "now Marv do not rub it in too hard" Pastor Barry took it well. Joking set aside, I told Pastor Barry after church that it was not Marvin's intention to wear that shirt at first but since he wore it we were blessed as we met some new members. Isn't that great?

Yesterdays sermon was on "Radical Gratitude" and this is the verse that used for the sermon
7 Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness
Colossians 2:7 (New Living Translation)

It was a great sermon on why we should have gratitude. It honors God, it strengthens relationships, it develops my faith and it is a positive way to share out faith.

Blessings
Janet

4 comments:

Sister Susie said...

It is a small world indeed. When we left the Keys and moved, we were so surprised in the years following, the people we had seen in the Keys, were now where we lived!

Was there a saying something like, "The clothes doesn't make the man..." I can't remember the rest, ha!

Our Pastors really are good at sheparding their flocks!

All my best to you and yours,
Susie

Carrie of Farming On Faith said...

Good Morning Janet~
Thank you for your sweet comment today.
I pray you are having a wonderful and blessed day!
Happy Fall!
Carrie

Nellie's Cozy place said...

Morning Janet,
Thanks for coming by, great to hear from you as usual!! I am glad you got a good laugh off my cheesecake thing, it was suppose to be funny!!
Thanks for your sweet and uplifting comments, they always help make my day!!

That was such a cute story about Marvin wearing the shirt and you meeting someone else from Nebraska,
Isn't God so neat, that He even can orchestrate what we wear!!
I see your Pastor is no different from ours when it comes to sports.
They are a hoot sometimes.
Bet yall were a real encouragement to the new comer at your church, and who knows, that maybe what God uses to bring him back. Wouldn't surprise me one bit!

In this great big world it is so amazing to me how God can make it a small world. A bloggy friend I have made lives in Ohio and come to find out she goes to the church of one of our Older Pastors (age and years back in time)Sons, who is also a Pastor, anyway, a few years ago our Pastor moved back to Ohio and is now on staff working with his son, and she knows them all. I love that!! He is just the neatest man and so is his wife, they are just a lovely down to earth, fun couple who have been married over 50 years.
Well, better go before I write a novel here,
Love ya hon, Nellie

grammy said...

I like that verse ... bet it was a great sermon.
I just tried to get caught up... my days are full of kids and i am tired by the time they leave.. (o:
I have bladder infections too.... hate them. Wish he would just let me have a refillable prescription. I hate going in. Hope you are all better.
Love your stories about the Grands (o:

If mine are ever far away... hope we can skype