Monday, August 2, 2010

Watching what we Say

"Watching what we say" was sermon title last Sunday. I think this is the most powerful sermon I have ever heard that relates so closely to me.

James 3:9-10 (New International Version)
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."

I have said some things that I never have meant to say and I can NEVER take those things back. NEVER,,, I have forever hurt someone.

Pastor Barry gave a great analogy of of woman that had gossiped about another and then found out it was not true. She went to her Pastor to find out what she could do. He told her to go home and cut a feather pillow, take it outside and leave a trail of feathers. Then he told her to wait a week and come back and see him. So she did as he suggested and when she came back to see him she asked him "now what, I don't understand" He told her to go back and pick up every single feather that she dropped. She replied "well I could never possibly find every single one, some have blow away and others are gone" That was the lesson that she finally understood the evil of gossip.

What did I learn yesterday? What I was I reminded? And what am I going do about it?

I learned that the tongue is small but powerful, dangerous, inconsistent and it reveals the heart. I learned that the things to avoid are gossip, lying, crude talk and jokes, and taking the Lords name in vain.

Ephesians 5:4 (New International Version)
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Ephesians 4:29 (New International Version)
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

To stay positive some good words to say are thank you, I am sorry, I love you, and I am praying for you.

I am working on thinking before I speak and not to say anything that is not kind. I am going to refrain and think about things before I speak. This is so hard for me because I am a “smart alec” . My goal is to have a pure heart.

Have a blessed week
Janet

3 comments:

Sister Susie said...

Your last statement really reminds me for I use it with the children I teach. "Think before you speak." I should take my own advice too. It's so hard to hold the tongue when you see or hear things being done or said that shouldn't be! I sometimes hear the verse (taken out of context) that says, "Judge not least ye be judged." Many times people don't realize that discernment plays a part in making decisions. The judging comes into play if you are telling someone else to not be doing something, yet you yourself are doing the very same thing. Discernment is being led of the LORD to not do things you know God's WORD speaks against, while sharing that with others. Again there is a way of sharing that doesn't "puff up" the person giving the information. The recipient then will not fill the person as a "threat," but the WORD of God. We all need to have that "healthy" fear of the LORD, even more so when we help to direct others with what we say. For the Bible says our very words are being recorded.
Thanks, Janet for making me think!
Blessings to you and yours,
Susie

Nellie's Cozy place said...

HI JANET,
WHAT A GREAT GOAL SWEETIE, AND WHAT A heart of goodness you have.
LESSONS ON THE TONGUE ARE ALWAYS CONVICTING CAUSE IT IS JUST SO EASY TO SPIT SOMETHING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH BEFORE YOU THINK ABOUT IT, ESPECIALLY IF WE ARE ANGRY. THE LORD DEFINITELY NEEDS CONTROL OVER OUR TONGUES.
THAT WAS A GREAT STORY WITH THE FEATHERS, AND SO TRUE.
THANKS FOR ALL THE SWEET COMMENTS YOU LEAVE, YOU ALWAYS MAKE ME FEEL GLAD I BLOG!!
LOVE AND BLESSINGS,
NELLIE

NanaNor's said...

Hi Janet, Such a good post and sermon. This is a visual lesson I will try to remember. Besides not being able to take back our words, they have the power to sow seeds of life or death in our children and grandchildren. I know I only want to sow seeds of life.
Have a blessed day dear one.
Noreen