Friday, July 2, 2010

More on Crawdads

After we got home from the coast we had to figure out how to cook the crawdads. I did not want them fixed in the house and since we had a burner on our grill I thought that is where they would get cooked. At this point I did not want to kill anything and it made me sick to think about boiling them alive. We could not get the burner to work on the grill so I let Jeremy cook them in the house. After rinsing them in salt water as instructed so they could regurgitate before they were cooked Jeremy brought them in the house to cook. Sara and I went outside because we did not want to see or hear any noises that they make when they were dropped in the boiling water. After they were cooked I walked back in the house and it smelled like seafood.....Kayla and Morgan where fighting over who could get more. They looked like baby birds with their mouths open waiting for more. I think that was a once in a lifetime experience.

3 comments:

Nellie's Cozy place said...

HI JANET,
YOUR EXPERIENCE REMINDS ME OF THE MOVIE JULIE AND JULIA. HAVE YOU SEEN IT YET?? IF NOT, YOU SHOULD RENT IT. IT REALLY IS A FUNNY MOVIE
WITH SOME GOOD POINTS TO IT.

MY DAD USED TO COOK LOBSTERS AT HOME BUT THEY TWISTED THEIR HEADS OFF FIRST, THAT IS WHEN THE MAKE A NOISE. NOT THE MOST PLEASANT THING FOR SURE, BUT THEY REALLY ARE GOOD EATING!! IF YOU CAN GET PASSED THE REST. IF I HAD TO DO IT MYSELF, PROBABLY NOT!! LOL

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING SOME
NEW AND FUN FAMULY EXPERIENCES.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK HON,
BLESSINGS, NELLIE

Sister Susie said...

I heard that if you start out with them in cold water, they don't realize they are being cooked as the water gets hotter. It acts like a sleeping pill putting them to sleep before the heat really gets hot enough to cook them. Now, I don't know if that is true or not or if it was something we kids were told to help us cope with it. But, as Nellie said, I remember dad wringing off the tails, but it was usually after they had been in the ice box for awhile. So, again there wasn't much response from them. He usually never did it in front of me. There is really a difference in taste from New England lobster and Spiney Lobster. I guess it is what you grow up eating that makes you partial. Enjoy your eating!
Blessings to you and yours,
Susie

grammy said...

Crawdads...oh my
the kids like to fish for them in the dicth
they always want to cook them ...well the boys
I always say they are not editable ,,,I guess they are (o:
it is a fun activity (o: and you guys looked like you had a blast.