Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eggs

Tonight Marvin was fixing breakfast for Dinner and when he started cracking eggs he said "that egg is small it must be a banty egg." Funny thing I have never heard of that. So you guessed it I goggled it and this is what Wikipedia said

"Bantam hens are also used as laying hens, although Bantam eggs are only about one-half to one-third the size of a regular hen egg.

Marvin had worked in a grocery store for 15 years when we lived back in Nebraska and he said they sold a lot of them back then. I wonder if they still do. I have never seen them in the grocery store all though I never have looked.

I grew up on a farm and we had chickens and gathered eggs. The only thing I knew about eggs is you should crack them in a separate bowl before adding them to your dish as sometimes you can get a bad egg.

I learned something new today......

2 comments:

Nellie's Cozy place said...

I have never heard of Bantie eggs,
on banty roosters, think we had some when I was really little.
Used to hear my Grandmother talk about them. I would have spelled it
Banty probably.
Interesting Banty eggs, I didn't think Rooster laid eggs, there must also be Banty hens! lol
It's so great to learn new things isn't it! There is always something to learn that is for sure. Have a great day hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Sister Susie said...

I remember my dad talking about these hens. Do these hens have featherer legs? I had never seen hens with so many feathers all the way down to their feet.

I like your new picture on your blog! It looks great!

I'm feeling much better. I have to watch about bending over so much. I called the doctor's office about the x-rays, but she would not give any info over the phone. She did say if I had fractured or broken any ribs, they would have called me. So, I guess they are just bruised really bad. At least I can breathe in deeply again. Thanks for your prayers!
Blessings and hugs to you,
Susie