Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sunday Day 5- Love Dare-Love is not rude

Tomorrows (Sundays) Dare " Ask your spouse to tell you three things that cause him to be uncomfortable or irritated with you. You must do so without attacking them or justifying your behavior. This is from their prospective only"

"He who blesses his friend with a loud voice early in the morning, it will be reckoned a curse to him" Proverbs 27:14

I just barely started reading this chapter and immediately I see the word "sarcastic"
that is talking about Marvin and I both. Once again this goes back to saying something nice or saying nothing at all.

Then down further in the chapter I read that "the etiquette you use at him is much different than the kind you employ with friends or even total strangers." This is so true and I have recognized this for a while and have been working on it.

I am listing the three guiding principles for practicing etiquette in marriage:

"1. Guard the Golden Rule. Treat your mate the same way you want to be treated"
"2. No double standards. Be as considerate to your spouse as you are strangers and coworkers. "
"3. Honor requests. Consider what your husband or wife already asked you to do or not to do. If in doubt, then ask."

Tommorrow will be a perfect example of working through these steps. We are leading the Diaconate Team so working together is imperative.

1 comment:

Sister Susie said...

Even though I am not married, I will use the same questions with my friends and co-workers. We have worked 20 years together with very few changes in people coming and going from the jobsite. So, we are like "family." I know that is still different than married couples, but I think I can "tweak" it to help me humble myself to my friends' needs.
Susan