Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Challenge




About a month ago our Church was looking for volunteers to walk for the Relay of Life. They had a hard time filling the time slot 3am to 4am. After consulting with Marvin we decided to sign up. My challenge was not being in shape and as you all know I like to go to bed early so getting up at 2 was going to be hard. I went to bed around 8 and tossed and turned until it was time to get up. Our first challenge was driving in the dark or should I say Marvin driving in the dark. We got to LCC and we didn't know how to get to the track but a security guard pointed us in the right direction. We then had a hard time trying to find Northwood's tent in the dark as none of the tents we marked. We checked in and then started walking with the other 200 or so people. On the 3rd lap or so I really got thirsty so we stopped off where they had ice water bottles although Marvin informed me that I had to carry my own bottle along with camera hanging around my neck. On about the 6th lap Marvin insisted that I sit a lap out so I did. We finished about 10 or so laps at 4:05 am. I came home and crashed and Marvin went to work for 8 hours.
The Real challenge was not the getting up early, driving in the dark or walking. The challenge was to raise money and awareness to help find a cure for cancer that has claimed the lives of family and friends. The luminaries were still burning while we were walking. It was a beautiful sight.

This morning in Church Pastor Barry asked us if God was awake at 3 am and I told him yes. The reason that I know this is because he helped carry me those last few laps.


Next year you can count us in again. (I think we will take the same time slot)

No comments: