Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July Memories

It has been a quiet day here for us without any family around this Holiday. I have had a lot of time to think about all the years past on the 4th. When I was little we spent the day at the park with a huge family picnic. There was a carnival, baseball games, the swimming pool and the fireworks at night. After I got married we continued the all day event at Steinhart Park in Nebraska and sometimes we stayed home and watched the fireworks in Auburn over the Lake. Once we moved to Oregon we spent time at the Ems games and Island Park for the firework displays.

Now I want to take you back to a memory a long time ago July 4th 1980. At that time I I had a new baby Jennifer (2 months), Marvin, me and Jennifer had went to Nebraska City for the celebration. In the evening the men, Marvin and Scott decided to stay home with the babies (my nephew Adam was about 7 months old) he was the youngest of my sister Joyce's two kids. Anyway Joyce and I with the rest of family went to watch the fireworks. Her other son Brandon (age 2) was really scared and crying when the show started so we went back to my moms house. It was a good thing because not long after we got home the tornado whistle blew. Since I was terrified of storms I can remember going to the basement. We had bad thunder storms, hail and heavy rain. In fact my grandparents car got stuck. Luckily everyone got home safe.

Favorite memories include the smell of cotton candy, my mom friend chicken and potato salad and lots of family.

No comments: